Sunday 9 January 2011

Development of creative thought and structure in illustration and graphic art

Overcoming mindsets


So I'm pretty darn sure that all primary schools are to blame for this conditioning of habitual thinking. Because how else could the ol' straight and narrow persuade 11 year olds that Harry Potter was the height of literature or that the idea of grease proof toilet paper wasn't so bad after all. And schools do this! All the way up until you're ready to be unleashed onto the unsuspecting world until someone from the back of the crowd pipes up the phrase "actually, Simon didn't say follow the leader." leaving you with no choice but to drag yourself back to the drawing board of life because you've done it all wrong.
So I guess it's best to nip it in the bud, and start this by questioning absolutely EVERYTHING. I find the best way to go about this is to force myself to write down a set number of ideas for an outcome. The first few are always tragically bland, though after wading through predictability I find that ideas start to liven themselves up, and these are the one's that I end up using.

Giles 1963, Daily Express, response to fashion and the generation gap
One artist who must certainly live by this law is newspaper cartoonist Carl Giles, who worked for The Daily Express and The Sunday Express from 1937 until 1991. His work surrounded the topic of one of the newspaper's top stories of the day. These would generally consist of a single frame containing a stereotype that suited the topic or would recurring characters from Giles' own creation.

Managing a creative environment


Naturally, I'm messy. Therefore: workspace=bomb site. Which truth be told, can walk a double edged knife. What I find comforting about the cleaner's nightmare is that there's almost definitely something around that'll inspire me, which, on the reverse leads to the fact that there's almost definitely something around that'll distract me. So balance is crucial, which led me to relocate the misc. "pile" to a less noticeable elsewhere when episodes of creative fury strike.


Collection of graphic novels which inspire the majority of my work

Another element that is essential in my workspace are artistic influences. The majority of these are the army of graphic novels that guard my work space and are within short reaching distance if the urge to refer or research something troops along.

A sort of in the middle balance of creative mess and clear thinking


Image sources:
iamge 1:

image 2 & 3: own images

No comments:

Post a Comment